A Summer Job on Sable Island – Dominique Gusset, 2017

By the end of the month, I felt so immersed in the rhythms of this island environment, where the forces of nature seemed barely influenced by humans, that I felt humbled, and didn’t want to go home.


In the early 1980s, while I was a student at the art college in Halifax (NSCAD), I met Zoe Lucas, who was recruiting people to work for a month on Sable Island, on a terrain restoration project. I jumped at the opportunity.

After a week of flight delays (due to unfavourable landing conditions on the island), we finally made it … and arrived in early May, to a bleak, late-spring landscape. The pale dunes and dull heath vegetation had barely begun to show the greens of spring. Horses grazed hungrily with their foals in tow, and seals and their pups lined the beaches. Our small crew of 5-6 individuals moved into the old Dalhousie field camp, where the first order of business was to dig out the outhouse, which had been partially buried in sand over the winter months. Our “A-frame” had the luxury of a propane cooking range, a sink with a water pump, and a wood stove for heat, in which we burned driftwood. The weather was mostly windy and foggy, and with only 4 weeks to get the job done, we worked outside right through cold rainy days too. Most mornings we left prepared for the worst: bringing rain gear, long-johns, hats and gloves ….. and shorts – just in case! (because it was glorious when it was sunny).

Our job was to install snow fencing in some of the areas which had eroded, to help rebuild sand dunes, and then to transplant marram grass to stabilize the loose sand and help re-establish vegetation. Over a two-week period we transplanted over ten thousand plants! It was hard work physically but it was good to be outside, rain or shine, working with comrades, and building up an appetite for our communal meals which we took turns cooking. Occasionally we would go to the weather station to have showers – a rare luxury. The staff there lived in permanent residences, with electricity, fridges and bathrooms, telephones and VCRs (luxury!)

By the end of the month, I felt so immersed in the rhythms of this island environment, where the forces of nature seemed barely influenced by humans, that I felt humbled, and didn’t want to go home. I took long walks, absorbing the elements around me, feeling insignificant, like an intruder. It did wonders for my 21-yr old sanity and it greatly influenced my future path in life.
It was a summer job experience which I will never forget.

Dominique Gusset
Sable Island Institute, 2017

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

The Beginning of a Memorable Partnership – Bob Dykes, 2017

In 1971, Bob Dykes flew to Sable Island to meet Henry James and his research team conducting behavioural studies of the island’s Harbour Seal population. Bob worked with the crew as they collected data on seals who were crossing the wide and featureless Sandy Plain, and spent lively evenings in the Aframe (a field camp constructed by the James Gang) discussing data and theories of animal navigation.

David Millar, 1967-1969

In May 1967, David Millar, fresh out of training in Toronto and Ottawa, arrived at his first posting, Sable Island. Outside of work at the weather station, David took an interest in the island’s environment and spent a lot of time walking and exploring, and developed two hobbies which he still enjoys – bird watching and photography. During his two summers, David occasionally assisted Dalhousie University’s Ian McLaren and his students in their studies of the Ipswich Sparrow.

Full Circle

In December 1963, Gordon LeBlanc began a one-year posting on Sable Island as a meteorological technician with MSC’s aerology program. The work was largely routine, with twice-daily launches of the upper air balloon and making detailed observations and measurements around the clock. On work days, there was little time to explore the island, so on a day off, station personnel might pack a sandwich and go for a long walk, or in the spring and summer ride their dependable horses, Rawin and Trigger.

Merlin MacAulay 1955-1956

In May 1955, after completing the 16-week course at the Upper Air Training School in Toronto, and then serving a few months in Sept-Îles, Quebec, Merlin MacAulay travelled to Sable Island on the government ship Lady Laurier to work as an upper air technician for the MSC. During Merlin’s stay, Fred Davis and a National Film Board of Canada crew visited to made a short documentary about Sable Island.